Welcome to the Mini Meet, Barnard Castle’s homemade, upcycled parade 2021!
We dedicate this film to Pamela Dixon and all those who have made Barnard Castle Meet a wonderful community event and great fun in years gone by.
The Meet, as it is known locally, has grown from the North East Cyclists’ Meet dating back to 1885, and since the early 1900s the town has staged a carnival and grand procession through the town centre on the bank holiday Monday. The weekend is now probably the largest event in the #BarnardCastle and Teesdale calendar.
However, it was cancelled again in 2021 due to the Covid pandemic. The team at #TCRHub decided to help our community mark the occasion by creating something special together and also to share memories from years gone by. And this is the result…. a handmade parade with a film to share it with the world…. and we hope you enjoy watching it as much as we enjoyed making it!
The concept for the Mini Meet was developed and produced by TCR Hub’s Sarah Gent and she sends her heartfelt thanks to the amazing team who supported this project including:
- Filmmaker Sheryl Jenkins for planning with Sarah and working with families on Saturday 29th May 2021 to create this mini film with the most awesome and creative filmmaking team ever gathered to film a Mini Meet!
- Artist Suzanne Williams for creating the set, floats, trees and so much more!
- John Emerson, Gillian Harle, Kathleen Butcher and Ian Kirkbride for sharing your memories, memorabilia and memories with us and giving us permission to share them. You have helped create a legacy for Barnard Castle Meets over the decades and we hope you are pleased with this film.
- The wonderful Float makers include Green Lane CoE Primary School, Barnard Castle Brownies and Rainbows, Barnard Castle Prep School and all the other creative contributors
- Kind permission from Barnard Castle Meet committee including Lesley Taylor and Shona Robinson.
- Sound Technician Tom Whittaker… I salute you sir!
- Thank you for the music, Andrew Nicolson and Barnard Castle Band… we decided to take some artistic licence and hope that is okay! The music featured is Barnard Castle Band playing is called Barnard Castle and was written by Goff Richards.
- Roger Peat for your speedy delivery of floats to mysterious places, as well as to each and every one of the mighty TCR Hub Volunteers… you make our team far greater by being involved.
- Lightning Signs for the swift sticker printing!
- The team at TCR… because you enable ideas to grow into community happenings for all to enjoy.
Would you like to see these floats in the flesh?? Barnard Castle’s High street businesses are hosting them… pick up a competition sheet from Connolly’s Toy Shop and find the floats in until 4th June 2021 – look out for the window sticker!
The Mini Meet was initiated by the team at TCR Hub and funded by the National Lottery Community Fund. Thank you to everyone for your support.
Looking forward to The Meet in 2022…!